Monday, April 14, 2008

Some Pastoral Ministry from the Recliner

This picture was taken while I was in the hospital. Remember when I told you I was blogging while heavily drugged and I kept falling asleep while typing. Here's the proof. Ha Ha!

It's been a week and a half since my surgery, and I'm recovering well. thanks for asking. (lol) I am able to walk with the use of a walker or more usually a cane. It's sore, but that's to be expected. Today I was able to get into the office for a little bit, and I am hoping to be able to do some work this week from both the office and from home.

This evening I decided to do some pastoral ministry by scrolling through my cell phone phone book and calling people that the Lord drew my attention to. I called a college buddy, a family who recently dealt with the loss of a loved one, my best friend, a student from a youth group I was a volunteer at 10 years ago, a student who was wounded about a year ago through a situation and has totally disconnected from our church (any church for that matter), his father to see how he was doing, and a couple I married last year. I had a few good conversations, and I left many messages, but above all, I feel like it was just a way I could reach out to these various people to let them know that someone was/is thinking about them and praying for them, and that they are not forgotten.

"My theme verse during the trial of my surgery has been I Thessalonians 5:18 which says, "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Thank you Lord for this down time when I have been able to reach out and call people that I have been wanting to call, but always got to the end of my day and said I just couldn't find the time. May my calls be used as needed in each of their lives however You know they need them - for support, encouragement, accountability, etc. Amen.

No comments: