Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Leading From My Bed

Actually from my recliner, because my bed is too uncomfortable for my back at this point. Which, by the way is ridiculous, because it's a friggin Kingsdown. Anyways, that's not the point.

Before I went in for surgery I made sure all my ducks were in a row and all my bases were covered. Nevertheless, life doesn't usually play by our rules. Stuff happens. Two days ago, one of my student's mother's died after a fast 3-month battle with cancer. I was faced with a decision. Just plow ahead with the plan I had in place, or be sensitive to this tragedy and adjust to meet the needs of my students. As sore as I am, and as inconvenient as it was, I chose the latter.

I called up the guy who was so excited about coming and sharing his testimony about how Jesus saved him from life as a drug dealer and gang banger who even did time in prison, and I informed him that due to this tragedy I was going to have to shift gears and move in a different direction. I told him that even if he went on tonight, the kids would have a huge, and in many cases, insurmountable hurdle to get over in order to hear his message. I just felt, through no fault of his own, it would not be well received. I did, however, give him another date in just a couple of weeks.

Next I called my friend who is one of the core leaders at our high school who functions in many ways as a pastor to the students who attend, and I asked him if he could shepherd the students through this in my absence. He was more than willing to help out.

I also had my wife pull the reigns on the worship team who was fully engaged in preparations. I told them we had to really scale things back for the night. Just the piano and one vocal. I want the night to be worshipful and reflective.

A night like this means many things. It means inconvenience. It means that people have to walk in humility. It means sacrifice. It means being sensitive to the needs of the flock. It means being sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit. My thanks to all who have been such great team players. I am proud of you!

No comments: