Monday, November 3, 2008

The Election ... I Don't Care Who Wins!

We are engaged in one of the most intriguing, polarizing elections of my lifetime. Whichever ticket wins it is going to be an historic first. Either the first black president, or the first woman vice-president. I am interested to see what happens, and I am praying for GOD's will to be done.

GOD's will.

Not MY will.

I think we too often pray for elections, pretending that we are praying objectively, but secretly praying that our candidate will win because we "know" it's God's will. It's kind of like praying for our team to win the Super Bowl and linking it to God's will. God is so much bigger than our favorites! Let us humbly pray, "Father, not my will, but Yours be done"

Now, I must be totally honest and say, hopefully without getting shot for saying it, that while I care who wins, I really don't care who wins. Policies and positions on issues are important. I believe a candidates' professions need to translate into their policies, and I believe we need to vote prayerfully, according to how a candidate's values line up with our convictions and our understanding of God's nature revealed in His Word. However, while choosing a leader for our country is an important responsibility we have as citizens, my identity and security do not rest in a man in a position; my life is defined and secure because I am a citizen in the kingdom of God, and more importantly, a child of the King.

My concern is not really in who wins or looses. My concern is that the Church resist the temptation to operate in either panic or in a false hope based on a man in a position, and rather be found praying for (not against!) whichever candidate wins and, most importantly, doing the work of advancing God's kingdom on earth as it is in heaven, not celebrating a man as our hope or complaining about a man in fear.

No comments: