Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Christian Response to the Election

Tonight (actually last night now) I preached a message to my youth group entitled "A Christian Response to the Election." I proposed four things that are clearly taught in the Bible that should mark the response of Christ-followers.
  1. Prayer FOR (not against) our leaders. While we can pray against issues of injustice, God commands us to pray FOR individuals (even and perhaps especially our enemies). (I Timothy 2:1-7)
  2. Love. We can believe and do all the right things, but if we don't do them the right way in the right spirit, it's all meaningless. (John 14:34-35; I Corinthians 13)
  3. Right Living. The loudest statement we should be making is not primarily with our mouths but with our actions. "Preach the gospel always; if necessary use words" (St. Francis of Assisi). Paul make it clear that prayer should lead to right living. When we are living rightly, our lives will be marked by a quiet peace, godliness, and respect. (I Timothy 2:1-7)
  4. Trust. Whether your theology leads you to believe God puts people in office or simply allows them to be put there by the choice of the people, no one is in any place of authority outside of the oversight of God. Ultimately it is God who is in control, not a person. (Romans 13:1-2)

May these mark the lives of Jesus-followers as we seek to be salt and light in our world. Amen.

3 comments:

Stan said...

WOW!!! Awesome!!

I am so sad that I couldn't be there! I am here in Florida with my Mom and sister... I haven't seen my sister in about 4 years...or more!!!

Anonymous said...

Good word, brother! Thanks for sharing. Life goes on and we know who is in control. Time for all the "chicken littles" to return to the coop.
God bless,
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Well said. I wish every obnoxious "assaulting" Christian would read the book, "Unchristian."