Friday, November 28, 2008

Trees, Termites, Teachable Moments & a Terrific 7-Year Old

Today my 7-year old and I were a little stressed out around the house, so I invited her to go out with me for a little daddy-daughter time. We enjoyed some Starbucks coffee and an apple fritter and then went to a park near our house for a walk. As we walked she was getting a little sluggish asking if we could turn around, so I decided to help her get in touch with her senses. I asked her to stop and listen and tell me what she heard. I asked her to look around, smell, and touch some various things along the path. This helped get her mind off of the monotony of just walking. A couple of lessons we learned together.

We found a massive tree which had fallen. Upon closer examination we discovered that it had been destroyed by termites. Lesson: Even little termites can take down big trees. I asked her how that was possible and she pointed to their working together. I told her that even though she may be little herself, she can make a big difference in the world.

We also found a large tree growing right next to the lake. Its roots were running right down the bank toward the water. We talked about the life and strength of this tree and why it stood a good chance of having a long and successful life. When we got back to the car we read Psalm 1:1-4 together which says:

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away."

Embracing the teachable moments,

Kevin

No comments: