Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey

I just finished reading The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey. In typical Yancey fashion, he approaches his exploration of Jesus not as a theologian, but as an investigative journalist. Focusing specifically on the portrayal of Jesus through the accounts of His life as recorded in the four Gospels, Yancey engages in a thorough, inductive investigation, assuming nothing and asking many questions - questions which too many people avoid asking, assuming that they know the answers to them because of what they have been taught either directly or indirectly through tradition. While I personally enjoyed another of Yancey's books What's So Amazing About Grace a bit more (most probably because of where I am at on my own spiritual pilgrimage), this book is nonetheless an excellent book, and I highly recommend it as a read for anyone - Christian or not.

No comments: