Saturday, April 4, 2009

Apathy

Apathy. It's my number one frustration in ministry. Seeing people passive and indifferent concerning the things of God drives me nuts. I constantly have to hold this frustration before the Lord in prayer, asking Him to examine my heart and keep me humble in my dealings with others. Here's a quote I just read in Brian McLaren's book Everything Must Change:

"In this big world of 'collective sin' and complex, collective realities 'beyond the individual,' Duane Clinker realizes that 'specific action is not required to wipe out vast sections of humanity, but simple apathy.' To appropriate the words of nineteenth-century statesman Edmund Burke, all that is necessary for our contemporary global crises to destroy us is for enough good people to do nothing." (p. 244)

Selah.