Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Apathy Part 2 & A Prayer

So I vented to my senior pastor about a month or so ago about my #1 frustration in ministry being apathy among students toward the things of God. We have really been seeking the Lord for a breakthrough in the hearts of our kids. Last week I had lunch with a fellow youth pastor from the Island. I asked him: What is your biggest challenge/frustration in youth ministry? His response, totally unsolicited (I had not shared mine with him) ... apathy. Today I had lunch with another fellow youth pastor from the Island and asked him the same question. His response? Once again, totally unsolicited ... apathy. Over and over again I am hearing things like ...

I just don't understand kids these days.
It didn't used to be like this.
What do they want? What are they looking for?
How can we capture their hearts?

I have been working hard, as have lots of my friends, to love and lead students to the cross. It is not easy. I don't have all of the answers. I just know we need to love Jesus. We need to build relationships with students. And most of all, we need to depend on God without whom nothing is possible. So, here's a prayer from my heart today ...

Lord, there is a heavy, wet blanket of apathy over this generation in our area. Many of us are dealing with it, but we know it's going to take way more than creativity and hard work on our part. It's going to take a mighty move of your Holy Spirit. God, we know that you love these students even more than we do. We are depending on you to do what only you can do. Break through hearts of stone and lives filled with passivity and laziness, and let the rivers of your Spirit flow in the lives of our students. Fill them with passion and fervor and vision and mission. Lord, help your churches to unite as never before to embrace the work of the Holy Spirit in our midst. In Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

mswillowgreen said...

It is very sad, PK. How ironic though, having the same problems as two other youth pastors.