Saturday, December 20, 2008

Simple Words ... Powerful Impact

Last week I met with the single dad of one of my students. After talking about a few things I asked him what seemed to me to be a simple, natural question, but an e-mail the next day revealed that it was in fact a powerful question that had deep significance for him. The question I asked? "How are you doing with all of the things that you have been through?"

Here's the e-mail he sent me the next day:

PK, Thanks not only for hearing me out, but especially for asking how my life is going. That question is rare. It means a lot to me.

What an interesting statement and a sad commentary on our culture - even within the church. Questions are a powerful tool that we have to help others. That's why I wrote a book of questions (What Would You Do? 500 Questions to Get Teens Talking).

What good questions have you asked this week?

What are some good questions you can ask in your encounters this coming week?

Lord, help us to demonstrate our care for others through asking good, open, powerful questions. Amen.

No comments: