Thursday, December 11, 2008

Another Conspiracy of Kindness!

On Tuesday I had to do some grocery shopping for our youth leaders' network Christmas party. When I got to the register, however, I realized that I had forgotten my tax exempt form. I called the church and asked one of the secretaries to fax it to the store. While I was waiting, I allowed a couple of ladies to pass me in line. Having nothing else to do, and waiting near the end of the check out line, I decided to bag their groceries for them. When the first lady realized that I did not work for the store she thanked me for helping, adding that I didn't have to do it. I told her I was glad to help. On her way out, she told me she had been having a really bad day, and that I had "restored [her] faith in the decency of humanity" through my kindness. I thought that was an intriguing line. Of course, I know that God was using it to do more than that, and ultimately I trust that it was pointing her beyond humanity to our Creator and His love for His children.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool story. Shows you how much the little things we can do can make a huge impact on people, especially when they least expect it.

Eric Wilbanks said...

Great story, Kevin. I assume you've read Steve Sjogren's books? He's an awesome guy...very down-to-earth. I was fortunate enough to interview him once for a magazine article I wrote. You should follow his Twitter updates: http://twitter.com/SteveSjogren
EW @ YouthChurch.com