Friday, October 9, 2009

Physical Exercise, Spiritual Development

Today was my day off. After sleeping in, I enjoyed a great bike ride from my house to downtown Port Jefferson and back. It was a total of 23 miles which is the farthest I have ridden since I got my new bike about a month ago. As I rode I listened to a Simply Youth Ministry Podcast that challenged and inspired me, and also listened to the book of Acts which likewise got me thinking about the early church and God's heart for His church today.

In speaking with my good friend Scott the other day, he has been studying the affects of exercise upon the brain, and has been experimenting with how it influences his walk with the Lord. I have been exercising faithfully for five years now, and I also notice the difference in my life as a whole - spiritually, relationally, emotionally, etc. - when I am exercising regularly. I would recommend that (a) you begin exercising at least 3-5 days a week (if you aren't already), and that (b) you consider ways you can utilize your exercise time to grow in God (e.g. listening to audio books including the Bible, podcasts - many of which are free - that inspire you in the Lord, or praying).

No comments: