Friday, November 6, 2009

Tanzania Monday - Friday

Well, after a week of teaching at Kilimanjaro Christian College and only two brief opportunities to check e-mails at internet cafes, we have returned to the home of the Street's where I have internet access. There is really too much to tell, but let me just highlight a few things.

We had a wonderful time teaching 22 students, most of them pastors (one man is a bishop with 42 churches under his leadership), Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther. My grandfather Dan Larkin told me that we would split the teaching down the middle - he would teach one book and I would teach two. I said, "That's not half." He said, "I decide where the middle is." lol! I have been learning Larkinomics. On Thursday night we had a banquet for the three students who had completed their courses. The power is turned off on a daily basis here in shifts throughout the city in order to conserve energy. It's usually out once or twice a day for an hour or more. As soon as we began the service the power went out, so we did the first hour of the program in the dark with just a few flashlights and a couple of lanterns. Thankfully it came back on while we were eating and we were able to see the rest of the program. It was very nice, and grandpa and I were honored to sit at the head table and were asked to give a charge to the students. We were presented with those confetti neclace things as part of the evening ceremonies.

During our time at the school I was also able to present the pastor/head of the school, Lazaro with the keyboard which a gentleman from our church donated to meet a need they had. They were very blessed! Thanks Bruce! Grandpa and I were also able to get together and purchase a refrigerator for Lazaro and his wife Eli. This will help them tremendously as they can buy food in larger quantities at a cheaper price, they can freeze food, and they can keep leftovers and stretch their food. What a great, practical investment that will be a great blessing to them!

On Wednesday we visited the church of our friend Unity, who was one of our interpreters when I was here in 1991. He really took to me back then and we were so excited to reunite. I spoke in his church to a small group, mostly young people. This was one of the most interesting things of the trip thus far ... After the service as we were greeting people, a girl came up to me. I told her my name was Kevin and she said, "I know." Surprised, I said, "You do?" She said, "Yes, I have a picture with you hanging on my wall." Obviously from 18 years ago, I asked her how old she was and she said she was 20. She has kept a picture of me holding her as a 2-year old baby for 18 years! Crazy! When we went to Unity's house, he brought out a frame with many pictures in it as well, and in it still, is a school picture I gave him of me when I was about 14 or so. So funny!

Well, those are just a few of the many stories. This weekend I will be speaking in two more churches of people I met when here before. Looking forward to seeing them. Monday night we start for home. Can't wait to see my family! Miss you girls!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Tanzania 5
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
love your pix. I showed Patsy and she loved them too. God bless you on your journey.

Susan Gnoffo

Kevin Mahaffy, Jr. said...

Thanks Susan! Looking forward to being home in a few days! Traveling the world with purpose is wonderful but grueling and tiring. :)

Thad said...

Kevin,
It was nice to see the pictures! I'm glad you got to see Unity and visit his church. Mt Kilimanjaro was beautiful too! It was awesome reflect on our trip together back in 1991 and realize lives have been changed as a result. I could write so much more! I'm glad you had a wonderful time and that you are back home safe.

Thad

Unknown said...

Wow, it doesn't look like it did when we were there. Just a couple of buildings and a lot of dirt is what I remember. The grounds look beautiful...grass and trees. I hope I will be able to go back some day too! Glad your trip went well and you and grandpa got home safe. April