Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ankle Update

I sprained my ankle badly 6 weeks ago during a collision in softball. I spent two full weeks on crutches followed by a few more weeks in a [splint] boot, but it has remained very weak and sore. Tuesday I went for an MRI and on Wednesday I received the report. I have a torn ligament. The ligament is the syndesmosis which is the one that basically connects the ankle to the foot, so it's quite an important one. Today I went to the doctor who wanted to cast it and put me back on crutches for at least three weeks. We are leaving for Costa Rica in two weeks and straight off to Virginia after that, so I begged her not to put me in a cast. Reluctantly she put me in an air cast inside of my boot. However, I will admit there is still some movement in there, and I am worried they will need to put me into the cast after all. Worse than the cast is the crutches. That's the rough part. The good news in all of this is that it is only a partial tear and should heal so long as I keep off of it. If it was a full tear I would definitely need surgery. Praise the Lord for that!

3 comments:

mswillowgreen said...

Well... at least there is no cast. Though I'm sure now that you leave so soon that is no consolation. It's a blessing that i'ts only half torn

RICH said...

Sorry, my friend. Nothing worse than being locked down. Especially with a super active hypotalmuss.

Andrew J said...

sorry to hear about your injury...ankle injuries suck and never really return to 100%...i know that from experience.
look forward to seeing you in a few weeks