Friday, October 11, 2013

Fun, Inexpensive Way to Appreciate Volunteers This Fall


"Would you like to buy a book of coupons to support the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption?"

Sure I said. 

I gave them a buck, took my order and my coupon book and left Wendy's.

A few days later I returned. (Do I have a Wendy's addiction?) Different cashier. 

"Would you like to buy a book of coupons to support the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption?"

"No thanks," I replied, "I already have ..."

But I stopped. I thought for a second, then said, "You know what, give me 25 of them."

You should have seen that guy's face light up! The next thing I knew he was slow-moving employees out of the way, rushing my order, bypassing the week-old fries that were next in line to be taken, and scooping hot, fresh fries still dripping with grease straight out of the fry basket, making sure my Frosty was overflowing, and asking me to complete a customer survey to rate his service; all the meanwhile grinning from ear to ear. I think I had just won him employee of the month. 

In my rare moment of thinking at the counter that day, a lightbulb went off, and I realized I could give each of our student ministry volunteers a coupon book for 10 free Frosties and it would only cost $25. Granted, they are coupons for small Frosties, but for 25 bucks I could communicate to our volunteers that I am thinking of them even when I'm in line at Wendy's; I could give them a little something of a treat for themselves; I could encourage them and equip them to invest relationally in students by taking them out for Wendy's; I could give them a little something to take their own families out. 

I took some time to write a heart-felt card of appreciation and encouragement, a corny poem about Frosties, and I packaged them together with the coupon books and mailed them (it's always cool to receive stuff old-school, in the mail). Including postage I paid just $36.50. Inexpensive. Simple. Memorable.

No comments: