Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Another Cool Starbucks Encounter

I was sitting in Starbucks reading today when a man about 50-years-old came in and sat in the seat across from me. I had seen him on Monday and noted that he had some kind of disability. Unbeknownst to the man, I decided to buy him a coffee and told the barista not to charge him when he came up; that I would pay for it. When he returned to his seat he mumbled to himself, "Yeah, but she's married. Oh well." I had to laugh ... he thought the manager was flirting with him because she said his coffee was free. Anyways, I started a conversation with him and found out that his name was Joey. After some small talk he said, "Well, I might as well go ahead and tell you. I have a brain injury." He told me that he was in a car accident a few years ago and had been in a comma for 6 weeks. He said he had to learn to talk all over again. I told him that God had been so good in allowing Him to live, and that he had experienced the grace of God first-hand. He told me that just the other day two Baptists had come to his house and invited him to church and that he had been baptized "just like Jesus was." We had such a beautiful talk, and before I left I asked him if I could pray for him. He agreed, and I held his hand and prayed for God to continue speaking to him and healing him. When I opened my eyes he had this huge smile on his face and expressed his gratitude. I also wrote his name down so I could continue to keep him in my prayers. I then went to the counter, payed for his coffee and left. Would you join me in breathing a prayer for Joey today? Thanks!

1 comment:

jay sauser said...

God, continue to bless Joey. Help more people to have encounters with him so that that he can be encouraged and tell others of your grace. Amen.