Saturday, September 4, 2010

Spirit-Led Encounter

On Friday I had one of those incredible, no-doubt, God-encounters. Usually a Barnes & Noble kinda guy, I ended up at Borders Bookstore in an area I seldom visit. Here's how it went down ...

The girls and I dropped Adriana off at work and decided to bum around for a few hours rather than return home as we were going to head over to Hofstra University for a soccer game after she finished, and her work was closer to the University than our home. The girls and I went to a diner for breakfast then went to Borders where we sipped on some drinks and read for a while. 

As I was reading, two fellas, about my age, met at the table next to us and began talking. I was honestly trying to focus on what I was reading, but I inevitably overheard different parts of their conversation. I heard words and phrases like, "divorced," "the kids," "got the seven-year-itch," "weren't happy," etc. As I was reading I suddenly felt God sort of shake me and say, "Kevin, look at what you're reading."  I was finishing up the last chapter of the book Sacred Marriage. The entire premise of the book is, What if God intended marriage not to make us happy, but to make us holy? In that moment I felt the Spirit of God drop an idea into my mind. Go. Buy this book. Give it to these guys. What? God, are you serious? How am I going to explain to them that I was listening in on their conversation? But the thought persisted.

So I got up, went back to the section I thought it would be in, and found the book. But there was only one copy. Dilemma. God just said, buy it for them. So, I went to the register, paid for it, then returned to my seat. I continued reading my copy, waiting for an opportunity to awkwardly introduce myself and give them the book. Finally, one guy got up and walked over to get something. I approached the man who remained and said, "Excuse me. My name is Kevin. This is going to sound strange, but ... I am sorry, I couldn't help overhearing bits and pieces of what you guys were talking about. I have been married 14 years, and I was sitting there reading this book on marriage. Even after all these years I still find that our relationship takes work and requires investment. Something told me I needed to get a copy for you guys. Just from what I heard I thought you might find it interesting. They only had one, but I bought it for you. Maybe you can share it. There's also a discussion guide if you would want to use it to open up some further conversation. I am a Christian, and the book is written from a Christian perspective. I am not sure if you are of any particular faith-persuasion, but I believe the principles inside are really excellent and you might find them helpful."

Shocked that I had purchased the book for them, he tried to pay me for it (which, of course, I declined). He then explained their situations to me. Both had been through some difficult relational circumstances, which is actually what had brought them together. He said that the other guy was into Christianity. When his friend returned, he shared what had just happened, and said that I was a Christian. The returning man said, "My brother is a pastor." 
"Really," I said. "What church?" 
"Integrity Christian Fellowship." 
"I know that church! And I know that pastor. Tony, right?"
"That's right," he replied. 
"You won't believe this," I added, "but Tony actually performed my mother-in-law's wedding a couple of years ago." 
"Get out of here!" he said. 
I gave them both my business card and said if they needed anything to feel free to give me a call.

After saying farewell, the girls and I headed out. In the van we had a teachable moment. We talked about the importance of being open and sensitive to God, and of responding in faith and obedience to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, even when it seems strange. Was it a bit awkward to do what I did? Sure. Was it uncomfortable and stretching? You betchya! But I was convinced that God had spoken and that I needed to obey, trusting that He would do what He wanted to do. Then He sort of winked at me when the incredibly odd connection was made. What are the chances? Plus, this is a Borders I have only been to a few times (less than 5) in 5 years. We then took a minute to pray, thanking God for the divine connection, for the opportunity to sow seed, and asking God to speak deeply to both of these men's hearts of His love, grace, and purpose for their lives in the midst of whatever they are going through. May God continue to draw them to Himself.

4 comments:

Kevin The Senior said...

Keep that "in tune" sensitive spirit, Kevin

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for trusting the Lord with that unusual encounter! As the parents of one of the men at the table, we are rejoicing that our son saw God in it all! The faithfulness of our Lord to work out His plan for our lives is enough to encourage every parent to rest in Him... surely He loves our children even more than we do... the little ones and the big ones! God Bless you

Kevin Mahaffy, Jr. said...

Wow! Thank you for your comment. I am praying for your son and the other man. May God's will be done.

Piper and Joe Hensley said...

Ain't God just amazing!!! I'm encouraged to continue to "rest in Him" for our 30 yr old daughter and am reminded that He does love her even more than me! She has the Word hidden in her heart & I know God is Faithful!