Friday, August 20, 2010

Planning or Acting

I woke up with an interesting thought this morning. It's my day off, and as I lay in bed trying to fully wake up, I began to enjoy the fact that I didn't have anything specific scheduled to do. My first thought was, what am I going to do today? I then came up with my plan ... I'm going to get ready, then I'm going to make some coffee and spend some time reading my Bible. Then I realized ... how often do I set the agenda for my day which includes spending time with God? How often do I plan on spending time with God but then things happen to interrupt my plan and it never happens? What would it be like if actually spending time with God became the instinctive starting point rather than something I planned on doing? Sometimes God becomes part of the plan rather than the plan being dictated by Him. Obviously habits are formed initially through planning, but is not the purpose of discipline to become undisciplined. In other words, I discipline myself in something so that eventually I don't need discipline to do it - it just becomes second-nature; part of who I am. When I come up with a plan to spend time with God, am I not in essence beginning my day with "My will be done"? Selah.

No comments: