Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Awesome Thoreau Quote

As one who is involved in sowing into the lives of others this quote in Walden by Henry David Thoreau really spoke to me when I read it this evening. It reminding me of the need to constantly recognize that God is doing so much more in people's live than what I am involved with. I need put my faith in Him and trust that He is doing something far beyond what I can see or understand. This relieves me of so much pressure. Knowing that He is the Lord of the Harvest and that I am simply a worker in His field is a source of great comfort.

"We are wont to forget that the sun looks on our cultivated fields and on the prairies and forests without distinction. They all reflect and absorb his rays alike. . . . Therefore we should receive the benefit of his light and heat with a corresponding trust and magnanimity. . . . This broad field which I have looked at so long looks not at me as the principal cultivator, but away from me to influences more genial to it, which water and make it green. . . . How then can our harvest fail? . . . The true husbandman will cease from anxiety, as the squirrels manifest no concern whether the woods will bear chestnuts this year or not, and finish his labor with every day, relinquishing all claim to the produce of his fields, and sacrificing in his mind not only his first but last fruits also." (Henry David Thoreau, Walden, "The Bean-Field" (emphasis mine)).

1 comment:

Jerry Peter said...

Thanks so much for this! God's timing for me was perfect!