Thursday, May 1, 2008

Pleasantly Surprised by Prayer!







I have to be honest. I was not looking forward to it. Fridays are my day off, but in general not much happens on Thursday nights for me, so I usually come home on Thursday nights and check out of work. But today was the National Day of Prayer, and our church was hosting a unified prayer meeting for churches in our area. Our pastor shared with us that it has taken their network of pastors many years to get to the point where they were willing and able to do something together, and this was finally it. He said he would be ecstatic if three or four hundred people showed up.

When I arrived, I would estimate that closer to 600 people were there, and I was pleasantly surprised with how wonderful the meeting was. We had pastors from the different churches get up, read a couple of Scriptures on various topics, give us some prayer direction, and then we clustered together in groups of 4-5 people and prayed on that topic for about five minutes. Then we would sing a song, and the process would be repeated by another pastor concerning a different topic.

If you've ever gone to something half-heartedly or reluctantly you know how I was feeling when I was walking into the church. However, I am so glad that God did not allow me to stay in that state. I felt so blessed by the sight of so many people from many different churches gathered together that it inspired me and lifted my spirit so that I was able to honestly engage in heart-felt prayer. What a joy! Thank you Lord that I traded my sorrow for Your joy!

No comments: