Monday, May 26, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution

I just finished reading The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. It is easily one of the most incredible books I have ever read. It is a modern day classic and a timeless treasure in the annals of modern church history. There is so much that I could say about this book - I was underlining like crazy. But suffice it to say, this book has totally rocked my world, and I highly recommend it! Be forewarned, however - you will never see the world in the same way. In fact, I am personally going on an extended fast to digest the powerful messages contained in the book and to discern what God wants me to do with the challenge that has been placed at my feet.

In the book, Shane talks about two tax collectors who had encounters with Jesus - Zaccheus and Matthew. One of them left his job to follow Jesus, the other redefined his job. This is the question I am confronted with. Not to leave my job right now - I know that the Lord brought us to our church for this season, and I am committed to fulfilling my commitment. But, down the line, does God want us to stay within the traditional church context and allow this transformation within me to redefine what I do - why I do what I do, and how I do it - and thus affect a Jesus revolution internally? Or would He lead us to start a new work that embraces these transformational values from the inception? May the Lord speak. May I have ears to hear.

3 comments:

Heath said...

Haven't read the book yet but God clearly pulled us out of the church and put us in a career we never dreamed of and I now "witness" to more people daily than I used to in a month.

Anonymous said...

PK,

I'm not sure what I think yet?! It's an intense book. Very well written and inspiring. It's a love/hate relationship right now for me, making me think a lot : ) The big downer for me is that I feel goes to an unbiblically extreme level on poverty and war so far. I'm going to blog my thoughts in a few days when I'm officially finished : )

Anonymous said...

PS - thanks for getting me addicted to Twitter : ) I like it a lot!