Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How We Addressed Questions Kids Are Thinking But Not Asking

This past weekend we wrapped up a 6-week series called "The Diary of a Wired Kid." The Wire is the name of our middle school ministry, and we wanted to address questions that a lot of our students are thinking but not asking out loud - things that they might wrestle with in a diary. They might not be asking it for any number of reasons - fear of embarrassment, because they just don't know if it's appropriate or not, they've never considered whether or not God might be interested in their question or have anything to say about it in the Bible, or because it's simply never dawned on them to do so.

Our series BIG IDEA was this: God cares about me and what I'm going through.

Here are the six questions we addressed in the series (obviously there are many more, but ...):
  1. Why am I going through all of these changes? Does God not like me or something?
  2. What should I do my friend is, or I am getting bullied?
  3. How can I talk to my friends about God without throwing up?
  4. What am I supposed to do if my parents don't get along?
  5. My parents always say dumb stuff. What do they mean?
  6. God tells me to forgive, but what if the other person really hurt me and they don't deserve it?
Understanding that God does indeed care about us and that the Bible is relevant and has practical advice about how to deal with everyday life is so crucial for students. The series was a great success, and we felt that the students were very engaged each week.

No comments: