Thursday, March 5, 2009

Surprised by Hope

Just finished a fantastic book by N.T. Wright. It's one of those brilliant, scholarly, biblical, feel-like-you-have-to-underline-everything kind of books. I have never read such a thorough and intriguing book on, as the cover states, "Rediscovering Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church." I was totally wowed by how terribly misguided (though presumably unintentionally) many of our assumptions about "heaven" are. The primary emphasis of the book is clearly to deepen the understanding of the centrality of the resurrection and its implications not just in the future, but in the here and now. There is so much I still need to digest, and I am definitely going to need to go through and re-read my underlines (which, of course, is almost the entire book. lol), but perhaps th statement that has more or less helped me understand more accurately the biblical understanding of the resurrection was Wright's phrase: "Life after life after death". If that statement doesn't pique your interest, nothing will. Get the book. Read it. It's unbelievable!

No comments: