Thursday, October 10, 2013

Passing It On: Shaping a New Generation of Youth Workers

Last month I experienced one of the greatest joys of my youth ministry career. I was able to bring two of my former students - Ren Jainarine and Michael Fenimore - onto our student ministry staff at Shelter Rock Church. It's always been my passion to see the young people I have the privilege of investing in through their middle and high school years serving God wholeheartedly as adults, and to now be serving shoulder-to-shoulder with these fine young men is a dream come true. Today as we met for our weekly connection, we cracked open the book that was so helpful in shaping me as a young youth pastor and began reading and discussing it together. Not only is it a great read for them as they are beginning in youth ministry, it is also a great reminder for me. I realized in just the first chapter where I have wandered a bit from some of my guiding principles, and I felt so challenged to get back to the basics of good, healthy youth ministry. Whatever role you play in youth ministry, if you've never read it, or if it's been a while, do yourself a favor and pick up Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry by Doug Fields. It's so great!

No comments: