Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tanzania Saturday Night & Sunday

Last night (Saturday) as I was walking back to my room I heard a noise in the bushes. I shined my flashlight over and saw a little hedgehog. He balled up when the light hit him, so I ran up to my room and grabbed my camera. When I returned he was still there, so I called some of the others to come out and Anne picked him up. He was puffing and making his defense noises, but after a couple of minutes he decided it was safe and came out. So cute!

I was super tired and I crashed hard. After 4 hours of deep sleep I woke up at 2 a.m. but thankfully I was able to fall back to sleep again and slept until 6 a.m. - a good 8-hour sleep. This morning after breakfast we drove about 45-minutes to church, picking up several people along the way. We had 4 people in the back seat, and the trunk of the truck full as well. After dropping us off, Steve then made another drive throughout the town picking up another load of people. We had service under the straw shelter outside of a small mud hut - their church. We had 100 people under this overhang which is the size of my office (not including the closet). They would easily get 300-400 people in our new youth center. lol! The service started off with singing from hymnals. Songs were selected by the people according to what they wanted to sing. Then some led out in other songs. They sang until no more songs were suggested - there was no song list. Then guests introduced themselves. The audience was Masai and Chaga peoples. I then preached a message which was interpreted into Swahili and then interpreted from Swahili into Masai. After that I prayed for the people. Then Steve, the missionary here, gave another challenge to the people and then a town-hall-like meeting ensued. People in the community have been letting their goats into the church yard and they have eaten everything. They talked about the problem for an hour. THey also brought up an issue with people volunteering to work on the church property, but only two people showed up of all of the people that had volunteered. And I though it was only in America. lol! After church we mingled with the people for another hour before driving back home and having lunch. I then caught a brief nap. We're now visiting with some Irish missionaries, and soon we will be going to the Bible college where we will be staying through Friday as we teach our class. I most likely will not be able to post during these days, so ...
Until next time,
Kev
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Tanzania 4
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi PK! hope you and grandpa are well. Youth group last night was great and watch out for G, he's doing a great job teaching. We had about 4 new kids, with more signups for retreat. Our cheering for the Yankees got them the World Series win!!!! The games were action packed and exciting to watch. We are praying for you all. Thanks for the pictures, Dianne & Frank
G